Monday, July 30, 2012

The Pool  


 Me and my friend Jimmy were looking through a couple of crates of records at a spot in a forgotten corner of San Jose, the old geezer who ran the place sold doo wop and surf rock but had come into a few boxes of old 80's dance 12" singles that his was offloading indiscriminately, siloed like garbage in a corner, safely away from his Elvis memorabilia. We took a box each and flipped through, handing scores back and forth and Jimmy in his benevolence passed me this beaten e.p by The Pool, telling me it was good and that I could have it as he already had a copy, I didn't thank him, for that would be admitting ignorance, and put it in my pile to be forgotten.

 I was looking through my shelves today for a totally different record that I was planning on recording to post up, couldn't find it as per usual, but in the process came across this record and finally decided to give it a listen. It was good.

 The Pool was Patrick Keel, a drummer in several Austin new wave and punk bands who went solo with this dark wave electro outing in 1982. This e.p follows an album, both on Moment Productions, a label that released records by I think one of the most overlooked punk bands that I know of (not that I know that many), Austin's own The Big Boys.

 Patrick is still in the industry, teaching Music Business at a media college in Irving, TX.

 The A side, Dance It Down, was supposed to be two tracks, a vocal and a dub, but after I recorded it I couldn't tell where one began and the other ended, they just blend together, so I'm putting the entire side up as a single track. You'll figure it out, if it even matters, which I doubt it does as it still sounds good.

The Pool - Dance It Down + Dance In Dub
The Pool - Jamaica Running
The Pool - Jamaica Resting

Posted by Black Shag | 5 comments

What next?

You can also bookmark this post using your favorite bookmarking service:

Related Posts by Categories



5 comments: to “ The Pool


  • July 30, 2012 at 5:07 AM  

    thanks for this one - glad to hear more from pool, i had heard the jamaica running track from the album Cosmic by Daniele Baldelli - a comp of crazy Italian cosmic disco. excited to hear a couple more tracks.


  • July 30, 2012 at 5:21 AM  

    Gracias amigo!


  • July 30, 2012 at 12:10 PM  

    Hey this one's great. I wouldn't have thought about it too much if you didn't mention it, but I think the song splits at about 4:17 on the mp3 you posted. If you listen close the tone changes a bit. Thanks!


  • July 31, 2012 at 2:31 PM  

    "Jamaica Running" was also on a good compilation called Elaste Volume 3. The intro to LCD Soundsystem's "Dance Yrself Clean" contains a pretty overt interpolation of it too. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zj9Sv1JpmPs


  • August 8, 2012 at 2:51 AM  

    Nice one, gotta dig out my copy and make my neighbours happy ;0)