Sunday, April 29, 2012

Waiting On My Angel (ZYX)  


  I think I first started taking an interest in Chicago house after hearing Jamie Principle's Waiting On My Angel on a weird rare groove mixtape in the late nineties, I don't think I had paid house in general much attention until then, I was too busy falling into the deep funk 45 black hole, or latin, or bossa nova, whatever the vogue was. I went looking for the record, couldn't find it, and so bought the original pressing on Persona via mail order, the first classic house record I ever bought. Only problem was the mix on the record sounded nothing like the version on the cassette tape I had, it didn't even compare, the sound was muddy, the arrangement didn't work, and the mix was convoluted and super busy compared to slicker, synth heavy production on the mixtape. It was a drag, as I was in college with no money and I could have spent that chunk of my student loan on a blacksploitation soudtrack lp.

 A few years later I heard that same version from the mixtape again, and found out that it was a German 1985 pressing on the ever inconsistent ZYX, remixed by their in house wizard Bob Heckmann. Anyhow, long super boring story short, I then went out and found the ZYX mix, another decade went by, and I posted it on my blog..

 

Posted by Black Shag | 3 comments

What next?

You can also bookmark this post using your favorite bookmarking service:

Related Posts by Categories



3 comments: to “ Waiting On My Angel (ZYX)


  • May 2, 2012 at 1:50 PM  

    Great find. I loved the original too when I first heard it back in the day. Thank you for sharing.


  • May 31, 2012 at 5:36 AM  

    yeah, what are you on about, the original is just as good, or even better... ??


  • July 28, 2012 at 4:31 PM  

    I bought it in a Hot Tracks series back in 1985.>> http://www.discogs.com/Various-Series-4-Issue-6/release/1236059
    Great track :)