Thursday, April 15, 2010

Joy  

I am not quite sure why the members of Young & Co. released a couple of 12"s under the Joy alias, but that seemed the fashion for the loose coalition of artists that formed the groups Aurra, Slave, Steve Arrington's Hall of Fame and the aforementioned Company formed in 1979 by the Young brothers. This 1982 release on the bands own Eastern Records is one of my all time favorite boogie joints, period. It certainly didn't hurt that the powerhouse Young & Co. team featured one of the heaviest bass players in the history of soul music, Buddy Hankerson. Now feel free lose your shit to the below video:


Young & Co. still tour to this day and Buddy also has his own project The Buddy Hank band. I am particularly fond of their blown out 1990's 1.0 web page. Also thrown in for good measure is Sending My Love by Pleasure because either it was collecting dust in my rips folder or maybe it is the perfect response to I Need Your Love's call.

Joy - I Need Your Love Part 1
Joy - I Need Your Love Part 2
Joy - I Need Your Love Part 3
Pleasure - Sending My Love (Instrumental)

Posted by Magnum | 6 comments

Labels: , ,

What next?

You can also bookmark this post using your favorite bookmarking service:

Related Posts by Categories



6 comments: to “ Joy


  • April 15, 2010 at 9:45 AM  

    LOVE this blog... ALWAYS good stuff!
    (btw, isn't that a pic of Boney M?)


  • April 15, 2010 at 10:26 AM  

    Yes, it is a pic of Boney M! Good eye. Joy didn't have any pics with that dusted soul glow and I don't believe we will be posting any Boney M tracks anytime soon there you go.


  • April 15, 2010 at 1:07 PM  

    this is so much funn!

    love reading your blog and connecting all the pieces with your info.

    thanks for this

    -Melissa B


  • April 15, 2010 at 1:16 PM  

    also thanks for reminding me about that video. i lost my shit to it once again.


  • May 2, 2010 at 10:34 AM  

    So Happy!!
    Man, I been loving what ya'll do for the last year or so. but this record is a slam bang masterwork. thank you thank you. Keep it up, know you will cheers
    -ham and


  • June 22, 2010 at 10:26 PM  

    Ha! I was about to ask about the Boney M pic too!

    Thanks for the tracks!

    (And thanks for posting that Buddy Hank vid. I'd been wanting to see it again since I first saw it about a year ago and for some reason I could never find it again on YouTube)