Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Eat a Cold Wind-Madness, Soulja Boy!  



A couple days ago Soulja Boy (along with his two cronies as a backdrop) stated on his YouTube feed he is making money with every view videos on his page get as well as each comment posted to them. It's a strange change in the music industry when you include viral video counts, particularly when it's hip hop stars airing their beef, into music revenue (and then including YouTube and Google in there too is worth pondering, especially when this very blog is hosted through Google).

All this is enough to make musicians who have been playing the game for awhile a bit bitter. When I view Soulja Boy's retorts to Ice-T's recent claim that Soulja Boy has killed hip hop I have more empathy with Ice-T, but some of Ice-T's rant is a bit excessive too (even more immoderate when I consider his buxom wife CoCo...sorry for my TMZ-ness).



In any case, Ice-T still has more cred and I respect that he spoke out against the ultra- commercialization of Soulja Boy's Superman, a song which sold more ringtones than real copies. Ice-T speaks truth that there are dangers in hip hop but it's nothing that new.

Even though the rap on this track is as vapid as some of the aforementioned YouTube videos it is real old school hip hop which embodied the term "fresh" more than ever. We sussed that the drums are a Simmons Kit and not programmed which is kind of neat. Jimmy Jam and Terry Lewis, from my homestate of Minnesota, produced this jam. First on Saturn Records in 1983, I have the release that came bout three years later on JDC/Housejam featuring the same picture of Ice T that's on my Body Rock 12" on a different label, him rocking some crazy bondage gear.


Ice T - Cold Wind-Madness
Ice T - The Coldest Rap

Posted by safetyscissors | 4 comments

Labels: , , ,

What next?

You can also bookmark this post using your favorite bookmarking service:

Related Posts by Categories



4 comments: to “ Eat a Cold Wind-Madness, Soulja Boy!


  • August 28, 2008 at 2:33 PM  

    darnit...i was hoping soulja boy would have commented by now.


  • August 29, 2008 at 4:16 AM  

    Don't sweat it mate, he is too busy hustling ringtones in a post modern hip hop world.


  • September 28, 2008 at 11:03 PM  

    I think you need to check my blog before posting! I've posted many of the same tracks, our tastes are very similar. So it goes without saying that I'm really loving all the gems you've been posting here. Keep it up.

    Check it out...
    onedaylater.blogspot.com


  • September 9, 2009 at 4:45 AM  

    When I saw this I didn't put 2 and 2 together, but now that I hear it I remeber this. In the late 80s I inherited my cousin's old mixed tapes and radio show recordings from Bay Area radio in the early 80s. This was on one and I used to love it. But I thought Ice-T was called Toddy T back then.