Tuesday, June 24, 2008

I Must Be Dreamin'  


As did so many of his contemporaries, jazz musician Narada Michael Walden (Weather Report, Mahavishnu Orchestra) got lost in the music and shifted gears towards disco in the late 70's. Highly influenced by the work of Chic, he handled production for Sister Sledge on their "All American Girls" LP as well as his sister in law, Wanda's album "Searchin' For Love" both released in 1981. The standout track and 12" was "Don't You Want My Lovin". I do not have this one so instead you can check it out accompanied by an exciting static image on youtube:



"I Must Be Dreamin" was released as a 12" single in 1982 but did not include Narada's production and was also missing from the full length album. Replacing Narada, American Idol's Randy Jackson provides brilliant songwriting and production way deeper in the boogie vein. "I Must Be Dreamin" is an unstoppable synth driven banger not dissimilar to Vicky D's "This Beat is Mine". I have always sort of hated American Idol, but I must say this brings Randy Jackson's cred up about 10 notches so maybe I should give it another try. On second thought, naw I will still have to pass on that show.

Wanda - I Must Be Dreamin'

You can also find "I Must Be Dreamin" on my new mix with Black Shag entitled "Ride My Spaceship" for Manchester's excellent Cosmic Disco Blog right here:

BT Magnum and Black Shag - Ride My Spaceship

Posted by Magnum | 5 comments

Labels: , , , ,

What next?

You can also bookmark this post using your favorite bookmarking service:

Related Posts by Categories



5 comments: to “ I Must Be Dreamin'


  • June 25, 2008 at 2:00 AM  

    ... and then I suddenly asked myself: didn't mister Beat Electric say he would look for some of the other Go Home Production mixes?....

    anyway: still love your blog, I stop by regularly to sample some of the goodies you post here. Keep up the good work. Greetings from Belgium.


  • June 25, 2008 at 11:08 AM  

    I have been meaning to put up Strategy by Barbarra Noris for a while on Go Home Productions. Its not an empty promise, I will do it.


  • August 16, 2008 at 11:02 PM  

    do you have the tracklisting for the spaceship mix? Super smooth mix.


  • August 20, 2008 at 8:43 PM  

    here ya go:

    1. STARVUE -Body Fusion
    2. MASTER JAY & MICHAEL DEE - T.S.O.B (Instrumental)
    3. JIVE RHYTHM TRAX - 102bpm
    4. EURO FUNK - Dynomite
    5. ARMENTA & MAJIK - I Wanna Be With You
    6. YOUNG & CO.- I’m Too Cool
    7. HEAVEN 17 - Let Me Go
    8. SINNAMON - Thanks To You
    9. WANDA - I Must Be Dreaming
    10. HI TENSION - Hi Tension
    11. Q - The Voice of Q (Instrumental)
    12. NITRO DELUXE - Let’s Get Brutal
    13. SATELLITE - U Can Drive My Spaceship
    14. FEVER - The Fever Rock
    15. RENE & ANGELA - Wall To Wall
    16. 202 MACHINE - Do Your Thing
    17. FUNKAPOLITAN - Run Run Run
    18. OMNI - Body Groove
    19. HARLEQUIN 4’s - Set It Off
    20. KAJAGOOGOO - Hang on Now (Extended Version)


  • October 11, 2009 at 6:43 AM  

    incredibly awesome how Nitro-Brutal track was used in this mix