Sunday, May 18, 2008

Guest Mix: Professor Eddy - Summer Grooves  


Our guest mix comes from the Netherland's Professor Eddy, full of new soul classics it was apparently inspired by north western Europe's recent spate of fine weather. Eddy had this to say about himself..

"..From 1995 'till recently I worked for several local radio stations in the Netherlands and I always tried to play as much 'black' music as I could. Since April I have a daily show on the new online station Laid Back Radio (http://www.laid-back.be/online/online.htm). You can hear 'Soul Searching' from 9.00 to 10.00 hrs CET in the morning and from 19.00 to 20.00 hrs CET in the evening. I try to play the best soul music from the last 40 years. For me soul music began in the mid sixties when James Brown invented the funk with 'Papa's got a brand new bag'. The people from the Laid Back Show gave me the nickname 'professor Eddy' because of my musical knowledge (well, that's what they tell me, probably my glasses have something to do with it as well...).

In the past I've done some mixes for the weekly Laid Back Show on the local radio station FM Brussels as well, for instance 'Slow Disco 2' (http://www.laid-back.be/download/eddy14.htm or http://tinyurl.com/42fywq). But the weekly Laid Back Show has now become a 24 hours radio station on the web.

The idea behind 'Summer Grooves' was to make a sunny disco mix. Some joyful tracks from the late sixties to the mid eighties."


Here is the tracklisting and link to the mix:

(intro)
Michael McDonald – I Keep Forgettin’ (1982)
Don Blackman – Heart’s Desire (1982)
Creative Source – Good Lovin’ Is Good Livin’ (1976)
Sugar Hill Gang – Apache [12”] (1982)
Mongo Santamaria – Get Back (1969)
Gene Chandler – Get Down [Rick Giantos Special 12” Mix] (1979)
Joubert Singers – Stand On the Word [Larry Levan Remix] (1985)
Jeff Perry – Call On Me (1977)
Sunrize – I Need You More Than Words Can Say (1982)
Cool Notes – Why Not (1985)
ABC – King Without A Crown (1987)
Five Star – System Addict (1985)
The Jacksons – Walk Right Now (1980)
Tony Orlando – Don’t Let Go (1978)
Theo Vaness – I Can’t Dance Without You (1979)
Heaven & Earth – I Really Love You (1981)
Jimmy Williams – All Of My Lovin’ [Eddy’s Edit] (1983)
Serge Gainsbourg – Sea Sex And Sun (1978)
Leo’s Sunshipp – I’m Back For More (1978)

Posted by Black Shag | 7 comments

Labels:

What next?

You can also bookmark this post using your favorite bookmarking service:

Related Posts by Categories



7 comments: to “ Guest Mix: Professor Eddy - Summer Grooves


  • May 19, 2008 at 7:32 AM  

    joubert Singers, Jimmy Williams, Heaven & Earth... etc. A lot of good songs in this mix. This is exactly where my mind is, musically speaking, right now.


  • May 20, 2008 at 5:33 PM  

    totally feeling this mix


  • May 23, 2008 at 9:44 AM  

    Great mix!


  • May 26, 2008 at 2:25 AM  

    Great stuf really love it.


  • May 26, 2008 at 7:01 PM  

    Anyone who has the balls to start off a mix with Michael MacDonald is alright in my book. I remember a beat electric soiree a year or so ago when this track was on heavy rotation! BT Magnum must have been forgettin' that he just played the track 10 minutes before and 10 minutes before that!


  • May 29, 2008 at 1:53 PM  

    awesome work

    love the cool notes track, would love to hear more of them on BE please


  • March 3, 2012 at 5:43 AM  

    This mix follows me around the world, The mixes got heart. Thank you Beat Electric and Professor Eddy for giving us the Grooves! Incredible. Merci!