Sunday, January 20, 2008

B...B...B..Breakdaaance  



In 1983 the coastal English breakdancing scene was at it's now legendary peek. In the 5 year old and under dance category there were only three real heavy weight exponents of the 'body popping' sub genre of this particular form of physical expression, Scott, Robert and then myself. At the time I considered my style more abstract than that of the other two, fluid interpretations of the rhythm that could captivate a spectator yet at the same time challenge them, forcing them to rethink everything they once knew as gospel about 5 year olds moving like robots. I was rewriting rules. but Robert had an older sibling, and therefor access to a boombox, he also had high tops, I had sandals and so at Scott's 5th birthday when we finally battled I took a harsh and humiliating beating with only my mum, who was helping out Scott's mum with the food, there to offer half hearted crowd support. I was later scolded for eating cake without using a plate.

Most of the break dancing songs that I knew came from the movie 'Breakin which was shown on the BBC at some point during hours in which I was allowed to be awake and watching TV. I heard the Glimmers play 'Reckless' from the sound track in a mix recently, a tune that featured a very young Ice-T, but someone recently emailed in and requested the opening boogie number from the same album Body Work by Hot Streak, hear is the full vocal mix:

Hot Streak - Body Work

Posted by Black Shag | 4 comments

Labels:

What next?

You can also bookmark this post using your favorite bookmarking service:

Related Posts by Categories



4 comments: to “ B...B...B..Breakdaaance


  • January 21, 2008 at 12:13 AM  

    Ha, Best post EVER. I have seen your moves in person and they are DEADLY.


  • January 30, 2008 at 3:53 AM  

    remember when you told me to comment? well here it is...a year later. weeeeeeeeee! sexy bloggers


  • December 2, 2008 at 5:32 PM  

    Anybody know if there is an instrumental version of this, if so I'd love that to be posted, seeing as it is an ultra sweet TUNE.


  • December 2, 2008 at 7:45 PM  

    yeah, there is an instrumental, its on the flip side and it is the side I play predominantly.

    I will put it up.