Sunday, November 16, 2008

T. J. Johnson Band  


The best dancefloor friendly underground boogie tune is T. J. Johnson Band's 'I Can Make It (Good For You)'
I suppose we may as well shut down the blog now right? I'm disabling the 'post a comment' option as there is no point discussing it, its just fact. There are 9 places left open in the top 10 after this track that you can fight over.

T. J. Johnson is a British guitar player of Caribbean descent. He had a couple of domestic club hits in the early eighties, first with 'Pretty Lady' and then with 'Dragonfly', an incredible instrumental piece that lives on the flip of 'I Can Make It' (both of which I'am posting).

He still plays locally on the UK scene and put a new CD out last year, read a rare interview with him here:


Playing these tracks out in the USA is a real pleasure, the quality is so high they sound like they could have been a major label smash, yet the style is slightly removed from the standard American R'n'B top 40 formula of the time, boogie heads on this side of the Atlantic are left scratching their heads as they peer a look at the turntables then run home to eBay.

Posted by Black Shag | 9 comments

Labels: , , , ,

What next?

You can also bookmark this post using your favorite bookmarking service:

Related Posts by Categories



9 comments: to “ T. J. Johnson Band


  • November 17, 2008 at 10:53 AM  

    I have searched this masterpiece for years. 2 years ago i got the 12" on ebay. It is a fact, that this track is one of the best boogie tunes ever! No doubt!


  • November 17, 2008 at 9:00 PM  

    I Can Make It is a no brainer and is the ultimate synth boogie track. Dragonfly is such a great strange track. It start off as a quiet storm and at about 3:55 it really starts to settle in. I have a total weakness for Tambourine, so that hooked me, but what is with the swarm of bees? That is an element that I would expect in a Dominik Eulberg track, but in here it is absolutely brilliant.


  • November 18, 2008 at 9:45 AM  

    Total Butter !

    Thanks for such Goodies


  • November 30, 2008 at 7:51 AM  

    Dragonfly is ace. would fit well onto any dj set.


  • December 2, 2008 at 8:31 AM  

    This comment has been removed by the author.


  • December 2, 2008 at 8:38 AM  

    Absolute smasher, thank you for sharing this piece of musical energy.

    I will dance to this for many years to come.


  • January 8, 2009 at 8:26 PM  

    Have I ever told you that Beat Electric is one of the best blogs I have ever found on the net!!?? Thanks for all the amazing music you have introduced to me from my favourite periods in dance music history. Keep up the great work!!!


  • February 14, 2009 at 12:20 AM  

    This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.


  • February 6, 2010 at 1:13 AM  

    Great story as for me. I'd like to read more about this matter. The only thing I would like to see on that blog is a few pictures of some devices.
    Katherine Karver
    Cell phone jammers