Saturday, February 12, 2011

The Beat Electric Janky Record Cleaning Contraption  

The most difficult part about getting a good rip is having a clean record. Using a $500 cartridge to clear out the grooves is endlessly frustrating. I have had most of the parts to assemble this record cleaning machine for over a year. I had procrastinated building a vacuum attachment like this; but found the perfect solution at the hardware store when I was looking for something else.

Here is what you need:

Shop Vac (this one is 3HP)
Shop Vac detail brush kit
Turntable
Dry Brush
Nitty Gritty Wet Brush
Record Clamp (optional)
Record washing fluid (make your own like I do or buy it)

There is a record washing fluid recipe in the link. I have access to a lab, so I am able to buy reagent grade water and isoproponol. I bought the surfactant from a photo supply place online.

Here is a cool rare lazer soul record I picked up in Denver. It is from Detroit and was released in 1988. It sounds more like 1984. I love the synth work and the production. Almost ever track is good on this LP and there is even a slow jam that makes me a little frisky.

Dennis Paul & Apossa' - Who's Lovin' You?
Dennis Paul & Apossa' - Can't Get Enough

Posted by Joel Brüt | 13 comments

Labels: , ,

What next?

You can also bookmark this post using your favorite bookmarking service:

Related Posts by Categories



13 comments: to “ The Beat Electric Janky Record Cleaning Contraption


  • February 12, 2011 at 4:54 PM  

    That's a fine looking machine!

    Give VPI and Nitty Gritty a run for their money...


  • February 12, 2011 at 8:48 PM  

    I'm glad you got these records clean, but why didn't you turn up the volume? They're so quiet!


  • February 13, 2011 at 7:48 PM  

    Aah yes, my new phono stage is pretty quiet with this cart. I'll try to fix that.


  • February 14, 2011 at 10:36 AM  

    Yes, higher levels for the music in last posts would be highly appreciated.

    Thanks for your great music sharing, by the way.


  • February 24, 2011 at 8:56 PM  

    How about just using the good old wood glue trick? I use it on a regular basis for records I want to rip and it does not harm the records at all. They sound like new after.


  • February 25, 2011 at 9:50 AM  

    This method gets a record super clean in about 20 seconds per side with no damage. Reagent grade chemicals means there are no impurities to be left behind if there is any wetness on the record. The fluid dissolves any oil and nastiness on the surface. I have never heard of the wood glue trick, but it sounds messy and time consuming. Do you spread the glue and let it dry?


  • February 25, 2011 at 10:32 AM  

    Don't use wood glue, PVA children's play glue is best as it's water based

    Here's some photo's of the last time I did it, it gets records as good as new.

    http://www.facebook.com/album.php?id=690261547&aid=265640


    Oh yeh, leave it to set for 24 hours. Totally worth it and using the vac is likely to give you a static build up on the deck and whatever you do don't get the vac near your Bozak, you'll end up with a permanent static buzz on it.


  • February 25, 2011 at 1:05 PM  

    Oddly enough, I have less static after cleaning with the vacuum than I did before.


  • March 19, 2011 at 2:31 PM  

    What is wrong with just plain old dishwashing liquid and leaving to drain in the dishes rack. Seriously?


  • March 19, 2011 at 7:10 PM  

    Dishwashing liquid leaves impurities behind.


  • March 20, 2011 at 3:56 AM  

    Ahhhh, the oft mentioned impurities. I'm a skeptic!!! But then I only listen to vinyl drunk.


  • May 25, 2011 at 7:11 AM  

    Interesting method, but check this one, i think this is much more efficient for just a few bud http://www.lemixx.com/vinyl_046.htm
    i'm using only the ultrawave and the result is amazing. cheers mate


  • June 2, 2011 at 6:48 AM  

    I like the ultrasonic idea!