Sunday, July 25, 2010

Hydraulic Pump  


 Well, I'm abbreviating this artist to P.F.A, as although this is the B side dub of an early work that came out on the Clinton owned Hump Records imprint in 1983, I would imagine some monster corp has long since bought up the rights somewhere down the line, and the major labels have sort of been riding BeatElectric's nuts in recent months. Hassling us, getting the man on our case and getting posts taken down etc for music we never knew they even owned, so I'm obfuscating the artist name in an attempt at playing it safe. The ID3 tags are still correct so its probably a lost cause anyway. Why won't they just let us give their weird funk music away for free, in high fidelity, with incorrect credits and poorly researched hearsay at best or made up at worst journalism, in peace? Greedy fat cats.

 Hydraulic Pump Part III is a trippy electro disco dub version found on the flip of psych funk dancefloor winner Hydraulic Pump, popular with Ron Hardy and other midwestern selectors of the era. There is a part II on the A side too, but I can't remember what that sounds like, I think its a vocal reprise of some kind. When I hear it I feel it could be a modern trendy UK radio hit from a few years ago, something about that vocal line and the rolling synthy bass, reminds me of a popular current day act whose name escapes me, not because I'm too cool to know any current day pop acts or anything, but because I deteriorated that part of my brain, its gone forever and I'm too proud to use google.

P.F.A - Hydraulic Pump Part III

Posted by Black Shag | 11 comments

What next?

You can also bookmark this post using your favorite bookmarking service:

Related Posts by Categories



11 comments: to “ Hydraulic Pump


  • July 25, 2010 at 9:56 PM  

    As sampled by Orlando Voorn, for Flash - Fix
    I heard a bit of this years ago and always meant to track it down, thanks u


  • July 26, 2010 at 1:31 AM  

    Hey! I think that The Coup used this as a sample on "5 million ways to kill a c.e.o". Great post here!


  • July 26, 2010 at 5:17 AM  

    originally heard this a little worse for wear on mushrooms on a maurice fulton mix.... legendary business, keep up the good work fellas. x


  • July 28, 2010 at 3:40 PM  

    Hearing part three of the *sshhh* "P-Fu*k All-*****" 'Hydraulic Pump' was such a freakin' relief, I thought I had totally hallucinated the track when I downloaded plain ol' 'Hydraulic Pump' and thought this is nothing like I remember the track...ahh there was a 'dub' version, it all makes sense now.

    Co-produced by Mr.Sly Stone apparently..whoever he his ;)

    On a side note, the blogs that have gone down recently are all the ones who still use the correct title in their links to file hosting sites (RS seem to have adopted this search-engine policy), just change the name or substitute vowels for numbers...it is a slight pain I admit but when you think of all the work that goes into a blog its a small price to pay.

    I am still waiting for the day when they send ID3 sensitive knowbots to everyones computer which scans all your titles & tags, works out what is copyrighted material and the duration you have had the file then issues an automatic charge (failure to pay results in banishment to the salt-mines of Mars)...as a writer whose name escapes me at the moment once said "When did the future go from being a promise to a threat?"

    F**K CEN*ORS*IP ;)


  • July 30, 2010 at 3:09 PM  

    this is also on a rare pfa cd that features 12inch versions of songs from the pfa album from 83, nice track way ahead of its time, imo started modern electronic dance music.Check the original version too.


  • August 3, 2010 at 2:07 PM  

    Nice heavy psychedelic dub workout.

    Cheers


  • August 18, 2010 at 3:45 PM  

    I remember Hexstatic using or resampling something similar for an old track "Robopop" from the early 2000s. Nice slow track. . .


  • August 20, 2010 at 4:21 PM  

    Are those some weird black kids from the future, or is that a family picture of Levar Burton when he was young?


  • August 27, 2010 at 2:50 AM  

    Aah Too Proud for Google. Great.
    Much love and Respect.
    These Jams will rock the Future Shock
    THankyou.


  • July 6, 2011 at 12:00 PM  

    Anyone else hear the Super Mario in there? U know when he goes underground...


  • May 29, 2013 at 6:43 AM  

    I've never heard of them, but I loved this. Thanks for sharing.