Monday, February 22, 2010

The Sound That Blows Your Mind  


This jam by The Bang Gang came out on Sugarscoop in 1981. It is an early track produced by the most prolific dance music producer of the 80s and 90s; Bobby Orlando. This track has a much more black and boogie oriented feel than the Hi NRG sound for which he is known. His most notable release was Passion by the Flirts. Bobby O has an interesting story. It turns out he was a religious, raging homophobe, but made the gayest music known to man. Being a short, sober man of epic self confidence, he set up lots of labels and produced lots of music just for the payday. I stumbled upon this amazing quote by the narcissist that was originally printed in music magazine The Face in 1987: "I regard each record I make as worthless and useless just like anybody else’s"..."Anybody who thinks that their music is something special is worshiping a false doctrine. There is nothing that any artist can say that is really of any importance because anything other than God’s word is laced with the evil and has to regarded as sin tainted." Click HERE for the article.

The Bang Gang - Street Music

The Bang Gang - Street Music (Instrumental)

Posted by Joel Brüt | 7 comments

Labels: ,

What next?

You can also bookmark this post using your favorite bookmarking service:

Related Posts by Categories



7 comments: to “ The Sound That Blows Your Mind


  • February 23, 2010 at 9:37 AM  

    nice tuneage aint heard that in a while,however the vol level is a bit in and outkind regards
    soulie
    (a welshman in spain)


  • February 23, 2010 at 12:41 PM  

    I love that quote, Orlando sounds like a real jackass. It's funny you posted this track as I had JUST picked up a sealed copy recently that I ripped and was going to post on toughtrack! good choice.


  • February 24, 2010 at 1:51 AM  

    Nice photo! Isn't that Inspector Clouseau!!!
    Eclectro,south England.


  • March 7, 2010 at 1:35 AM  

    I am absolutely speechless regarding the Bobby Orlando quote, I had always had a subconscious mental picture of him as a flamboyant Sylvester/Patrick Cowley type...as we say here in England, "there's" nowt so queer as folk" (or not as the case might be!) Infact I just had to put on my favourite Bobby O track "I Cry For You"..its amazing that such a spiritual and emotional song could be created by a god-fearing proto-fascist bigot, I am literally in shock!


  • March 11, 2010 at 7:11 AM  

    Well I know Bobby and we've worked together quite a few times. He's a nice guy but quite a big talker and very cheap, apparently he has a quaker wife and 12 kids or something. He's seriously into racing bikes and I think he actually has a line of bikes.
    He once told me 'making dance music is the easiest thing in the world', I guess he may have mellowed over the years or he just keeps his religious crap to himself. Either way,
    In spite of his many flaws I always kind of liked him.


  • November 8, 2011 at 1:35 PM  

    I may have to update my Facebook page I created for Bobby O.


  • February 7, 2012 at 12:18 AM  

    Wow. I am continually amazed, as I dig through the artifacts of '80s music culture, how nobody was out in the '80s. Like, nobody. Boy George? George Michael? Divine? Liberace? Pet Shop Boys? Imagination? ...Macho straight men, the entire lot. Hazell Dean? Swore up and down she wasn't a lesbian. Bobby O? Well even if he's not in denial about himself, he had plenty of denial to spare. Today it's impossible to look at the artists he worked with, the music he made, and the people buying it and not see it all as being as flamingly gay as the day is long, but back then, if you didn't want to see it, you simply didn't see it. I guess that's the boat he was in?