Monday, June 22, 2009

1150 cc's of Numark  


Crusty rap jamz like this really make we wonder how things would have turned out if the rap scene didn't become plagued by violence. Here we have Dr. Dre in 1984 being as un-hardcore as you could ever imagine. It is hard to put the pieces together how just two years later he would co-form N.WA. and change the face of rap for eternity.

The Wreckin' Cru was an LA electro rap group that had alternating members, including, Dr Dre and DJ Yella, among others. The group as fronted by the veteran DJ Lonzo Williams who also owned the LA old school hip-hop hangout Eve After Dark. The Wreckin' Cru' changed thier name slightly a couple of times through the 80's and drop the electro for a musical baby making gravy sound.

The Wreckin' Cru' - Surgery

Posted by Joel Brüt | 12 comments

Labels: , , ,

What next?

You can also bookmark this post using your favorite bookmarking service:

Related Posts by Categories



12 comments: to “ 1150 cc's of Numark


  • June 22, 2009 at 10:11 PM  

    "he has a Ph. D in mixology to cut on the wheels so viciously"

    One of my fav "rap"-songs.

    Master P later ripped the "turn the lights off" for his song "ice cream man".


  • June 23, 2009 at 3:11 PM  

    I know what you mean about rap taking a turn, IMHO for the worse. Back in the day, when rap was taking a footing in mainstream music,it was lyrical, poetic, and actually was an art form. I don't listen to too much rap anymore because it's become boring, repetitive and not really about anything except makin money, showing off and gathering your own harem of dancin chics. Even though a lot of the old stuff is hit and miss with me, I still like most of it a hell of a lot better than most of it today.


  • June 23, 2009 at 5:41 PM  

    RE : Belle Epoque..
    I too think Rap is not as good as it used to be. In saying that I could just be getting old or maybe I was just lucky enough to be young during the golden era (RUN DMC, Public Enemy, Native tongues etc.)
    But I think its a little unfair to say its all about money and showing off. You can't pigeon hole a whole genre of music. Sure, 50 cent and Kanye don't do it any favors but artists like MF Doom, Madlib and El-P are keeping the art form alive.


  • June 23, 2009 at 6:42 PM  

    is this the Dre you're looking for?

    thanks a ton for posting this. scratch that, thanks a ton for posting everything you've posted and will post. You keep putting up my favorite new music, and it was made when i was 11. ( your edits rock too. )

    Solid.


  • June 23, 2009 at 8:26 PM  

    Nice pic! I added it to the post!


  • June 24, 2009 at 5:40 AM  

    What a find! That photo of Dre alone. I love your blog. A lot.


  • June 24, 2009 at 6:50 AM  

    @ Anonymous comment to Me: Hey, listen I wasn't pidgeon holing a whole genre...I was remarking on the commercial promotion of mediocre rap. Mainstream exposure seems to be limited to the kind of rap I described. I wish they would promote more of the now hidden underground movement in rap music that seems to draw on the integrity of the original sounds and artists that tried to shape rap music to be more than a high gloss commercial venture, no different than any other high gloss commercial genres considered popular music today. I've been around the DJ scene a long time friend, and I can tell you rap has lost it's lustre to mainstream pressure. Why the record industry doesn't promote more creative/artistic rap is beyond my comprehension.

    Stuff like THIS is what I mean by more creative and artistic rap (and I commented on this just the other day):

    http://www.thefastlife.org/2009/06/18/tea-time/


  • June 25, 2009 at 6:42 AM  

    This is AMAZING. I found this record in a store in suburban Cleveland years ago, and bought it for $1 based on the cover art alone. I have been in love with it ever since. The song was so different from what their sounds became that I figured the Dr.Dre and Yella listed on the credits were other people that just happened to have the same name. Glad to see it posted here!


  • June 28, 2009 at 4:29 AM  

    Hello Beat Electric, first of all congratulations for your work.
    About this work of D.Dre I'm impressed!!! but i call this Electro Beat was a tendency at 80's Between 82-84 sounds like Afrika Bambaataa - planet rock,Herbie hancock - Future Shock,Arthur Backer...best regards from Portugal


  • June 28, 2009 at 11:26 PM  

    Exactly, it was the West Coast sound pre-gangsta rap. The music has a heavy Kraftwerk influence. The music took a different turn in the gangsta rap period. I actually like a lot of the early raw stuff, when it was loaded with samples. Once samples had copyright protection, the music became really boring. One of my favorite sample heavy gangsta rap records is Ice Cube Kill At Will. That is some heavy shit!


  • June 30, 2009 at 5:07 AM  

    there is lots of good 'rap' out there,its just not mainstream and you have to look for it.

    mark my words,ive followed hiphop since 85 at the age of nine and produce and make my own tracks.

    im still being inspired by the underground to this day.

    look harder


  • September 6, 2009 at 8:50 PM  

    Gangster rap along with Crack was part of a government conspiracy to destroy the Black community. Just like how the Illuminati uses mainstream hip-hop to control people's minds now with militarized beats and drive home the repetitive message about being a soldier.