Thursday, September 18, 2008

African Suite  


So I have been wrestling with a new recording set up for the past few days, I would take a picture of it for you with my digital camera if it were not for the fact that I dare not plug another piece of technology into this new machine for fear may cause it to burst into flame and my brain to have an embolism.

As well as finally setting this laptop up with software to record I got a new turntable, a Pro-Ject Xpression ii, that came with a Dynavector 10x4 cartridge going into my (sort of) new Roksan preamp, which goes out line level into my MOTU interface. Some poor guy in Florida was forced to sell it cheap by a nagging wife who wanted the living room back, and as a result Beatelectric has a new rig.

I did this recording pretty much dry aside from some normalizing in order to get a measure of how it all sounds, but anyway..enough of the nerd talk, on to the deep afro disco..

African Suite has been talked about a lot due to it's reissue last year, and so I decided to record the choice medley from the B side in it's entirety, as all the best break and hooks are there amongst the pounding tribal percussion.

Richie Rome was given free range to produce this album after his success with the Richie Family. It's concept it pure sexually charged deep disco, with hard Afro rhythms, each track blending perfectly into the next:

In The Pocket (3:09)
Vibes (4:38)
Young Stuff (4:13)
African Suite Reprise (1:20)

Posted by Black Shag | 3 comments

Labels: , , ,

What next?

You can also bookmark this post using your favorite bookmarking service:

Related Posts by Categories



3 comments: to “ African Suite


  • September 19, 2008 at 3:10 PM  

    picked this reissue up earlier this year. incredible tracks mixed perfectly, great choice.


  • September 20, 2008 at 6:50 PM  

    Sounds good dude.


  • January 7, 2010 at 5:47 PM  

    Given the infinite number of music blogs catering to this loose dance genre, its amazing how I keep returning to a handfull of them...I guess the sonic cream does rise to the top ;)
    Love this track(s) - I am astounded how it as escaped my radar for thirty years but happy. Gonna track down the 'A' Side unless you are planning to post it as the recording quality is sublime (as always)..keeping the faith with beatelectric