Wednesday, December 05, 2012

Dedicated To The DJ's Of The World  


 Someone was asking for the track listing to a mix I did, and I was a dick and didn't provide it but you have to understand it was mostly due to the fact that we are in negotiation to re-issue something I put on there etc, so I wanted to keep it quiet. They then asked me to at least identify one track in particular, so I thought I would go one better and post it up on here as a sort of apology for being the sort of secretive crate digger snob that B.E proclaims to hate.

Dizzy K has been much written about over the past seven years or so years since the interest in 80's Nigerian funk, soul and synth  really started (I won't say revived, as I doubt there was ever a popular interest in post Fela era Nigerian lo-fi electro funk in the west until now). He is historically significant because he is regarded as the first African artist to rap on record, on 1982's EMI Nigeria released album 'Excuse Me Baby', I own it and it's hard to front like I scored this or any African pressed funk record I own during some basement digging expedition, the reality is they don't exist in California and I bought it on the internet from a Nigerian dentistry student living in Frankfurt.

 I played this one cut off the B side out for many years anytime I was ever stupidly allowed to play at peak hour, but the recycled Lagos pressing plant vinyl isn't holding up to the heavy club needles and it's probably time to retire it before I ruin it forever:

Dizzy K - Link The Boogie

I'm also putting up a slightly pumped up, louder version of an edit I did years ago that I like and seems to end up on some back packer type mixtapes but every time I hear it the volume would suddenly drop, which was embarassing, as it was au naturale and uncompressed or limited, from back when I thought people cared about dynamic range. This is sax legend Benny Golson's I'm Always Dancin To The Music, without all the bits that used to make people stop dancin to the music:

Benny Golson - I'm Always Dancin To The Music (BlackShag edit)

Posted by Black Shag | 6 comments

What next?

You can also bookmark this post using your favorite bookmarking service:

Related Posts by Categories



6 comments: to “ Dedicated To The DJ's Of The World


  • December 5, 2012 at 10:58 AM  

    amazing music, as always

    thanks so much!
    keep it coming!


  • December 7, 2012 at 4:04 AM  

    I've got always dancing on vinyl and thought it could do with an edit. You don't happen to have a Wav of your edit I could have? That Dizzy K track is quality too.


  • December 15, 2012 at 8:03 PM  

    Some of us do care about dynamic range!

    The trick is to play the compressed tracks at like half-volume (e.g. using ReplayGain), so the dynamic ones can have plenty of room to play at full volume.

    If you must apply compression, go easy on it. You did fine with the Benny Golson track. I think if it were mixed differently, it wouldn't work as well with the limiting, but the bass isn't too strong, and the way things are panned, it doesn't suffer when compressed.


  • May 24, 2013 at 6:50 PM  

    Thanks for sharing this, your blog is great. I did a remix of the Dizzy K song http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zc_9wtj81co


  • June 11, 2013 at 2:44 AM  

    Thank's a zillion for your contribution to the elevation of the mass !!!
    there is only one copy in 2 ex of the of dizzy-k's album on the web, nothing on discog, and the quality is poor, saturated, harshed, glitched,...

    is there a way to make you rip on mr Bruts de-lux deck the entire LP ??

    i know that it sounds rude to ask but this lp is one of my davourite Lp at the moment and i feel desolated....

    anyway you guys are ruling the universe with your ultra collectors 7inches !


  • January 10, 2014 at 9:19 AM  

    Absolutely gorgeous music by Benny Golson. This is my favourite online Music site EVER. My deepest congratulations to all involved.