Friday, July 29, 2011

House Nation  


I spent the day wandering around the Soho district of London and found my way into a couple of record stores including the Soul Jazz Records hub, Sounds of The Universe. They had a deep collection of classic and new vinyl, but alas for obvious reasons I am going wax free on this particular journey overseas. I later walked into another shop and heard a solid classic house compilation from the early 90's playing on the PA and snatched it up. The House Nation comp is probably my first cd purchase in over ten years and in the spirit of my moment of devolution I am posting a few highlights from the disc.

Also check the sidebar for my Paris DJ sets next week. Je veux voir tous vos beaux visages.

Phase II - Reachin'
Rhythim is Rhythim - Strings of Life
The Todd Terry Project - Weekend

Posted by Magnum | 7 comments

Labels: , ,

What next?

You can also bookmark this post using your favorite bookmarking service:

Related Posts by Categories



7 comments: to “ House Nation


  • July 30, 2011 at 2:50 AM  

    I demand more funkyness in the next post!


  • July 30, 2011 at 8:45 AM  

    Big fan of the blog but never managed to catch any of your London appearances. So I was very hype to see that you are playing in Paris where I'll be holidaying on Wednesday. I'll be there for sure.

    I definitely owe you a beer for all the hot tunes over the years.


  • July 30, 2011 at 9:45 AM  

    Dear Anonymous,

    And I demand more funkyness (sp) in your next blog post. Please send the link my way when you have a moment.

    Chad, see you in Paris!

    BT


  • July 30, 2011 at 1:55 PM  

    Homer J from UK.
    That's a good compilation. Were they 12" versions ? Cos if so i can get that & offload some 12"s !ffload some 12"s !


  • August 2, 2011 at 1:26 PM  

    Nice.
    Next time in London check out Soul Brother Records, they really have it all.

    For a future post how about...ROY AYRES & WAYNE HENDERSON- HEAT THE BEAT.
    Njoy the hols.

    'feet don't fail me now'

    Regards


  • August 8, 2011 at 9:37 AM  

    I have to admit, Strings Of Life (the original not the fucking endless versions, there is a reason why there is only one Sistine Chapel ceiling) is one of the few house 'classics' that I can listen to without cringing from years of over-kill and over-analysis...

    ...another track on the compilation that still sounds pretty good after ALL these years is the dub mix of 'Love Can't Turn Around' featuring of course the vocal talents of the now sadly deceased Darryl Pandy whose passing seems to have gone by virtually unnoticed (with honourable exceptions of course)...

    the Phase II track always make me think of 'Phase 4s', a particularly strong brand of early 90s UK MDMA, up there with the Green Shamrocks!


  • August 24, 2011 at 3:49 AM  

    Thank you very much for all those lovely tunes!!