Sunday, October 18, 2009

Magnum Force 1984  


I came across this 12" recently in a deep stack of what seemed like mostly jazz records. It's by Rory and Rick Starr, also known by the moniker Magnum Force, under which they released some sought after funk and boogie LP's, in the late seventies through to the early eighties. This record though dates from 1984, and goes into my limited collection of what I would identify as one of the earliest examples that I own of pure Chicago house. I don't have anything that can be pinned down to that genre from 1983, close, but not quite. Both the A side and B side are well worthwhile, definitely a little too polished to have been made by a 17 year old with a Roland drum machine in his bedroom, but clearly influenced by them and the electronic sound being played on Chicago radio at the time as well.

I'm also posting Persia's Inch By Inch as was requested. All time roller boogie classic.

Posted by Black Shag | 6 comments

What next?

You can also bookmark this post using your favorite bookmarking service:

Related Posts by Categories



6 comments: to “ Magnum Force 1984


  • October 19, 2009 at 7:45 AM  

    Thanks a lot for posting Persia's 'Inch by Inch'. It sounds as good as ever, timeless classic!!!.

    Kudos to everyone at B.E.


  • October 19, 2009 at 1:24 PM  

    Top post!

    cheerz :)


  • October 19, 2009 at 2:15 PM  

    did you find that magnum force single at Rooky Ricardo's? My buddy found that same single in a dumpster with all this other weird boogie/disco stuff, be he ended up parting with it as he was strapped for cash.


  • October 19, 2009 at 3:31 PM  

    Close, I actually found it at Recycled Records up the street from Rookie's. I wonder how common it is, funny I hadn't heard of it before given the date and the style.


  • October 19, 2009 at 8:28 PM  

    oh my god, i haven't heard "cool out" in forever. i remember hearing it on the electrifying mojo show in detroit.

    thanks!


  • October 26, 2009 at 3:17 PM  

    I love Inch By Inch. the people who from Club Sandwich in Paris used a wild reedit of it in this amazing promo video they did a couple years back. Thanks for posting this.