Saturday, June 27, 2009

The Rock  


Thanks to everyone who read my rant last week and sent in their weird, newly discovered disco joints. It meant a lot and I will contact you individually to see if it's cool to repost them. Please send more in, if they are new on me (as they mostly are) I will put them all in a post and give you the credits. I think I worked out that there must be some electro blog haus mailing list floating around and we got on it somehow, but if you read my post and decided to send me your bedroom produced electro banger despite me calling you all out as fame hungry spammers then more power to you, keep hustling.

Speaking of remixes, many of the Europeans amongst you may recognize East Coast's The Rock as the origin of the main sample used in a mainstream dance hit in the late nineties, I know I do at least, but for the life of me I can't remember what it was. It had a male vocal over the top and got tons of radio play. Anyone have less damage to their long term memory centers than me?

This is the 12" mix, with beautiful extended percussive sections, and the phased out bass line is perhaps I think one of the most standout in all disco. It was produced by a then young Charles Wallert, who went on to become successful with artists such as Dione Warrick and George Benson, and was originally released on the small indy Family Records, but after the DJ's responded to it RSO picked it up just weeks later.

Posted by Black Shag | 11 comments

What next?

You can also bookmark this post using your favorite bookmarking service:

Related Posts by Categories



11 comments: to “ The Rock


  • June 27, 2009 at 10:14 PM  

    STARLIGHT by The Supermen Lovers. Man, I loved that song. Bathhouse disco at its finest. Is there a name for that sub-genre?

    Never knew it was a sample. I am now and forever will be partial to the original.


  • June 28, 2009 at 4:50 AM  

    French guys like daft punk and many artists of dance scene are sampling from titles like this...from disco and funk nothing is new, all recycle :)


  • June 28, 2009 at 7:08 AM  

    @t Mike Scott:

    In the end of the 90's there was a big wave of french filter house. For more info:

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/French_house

    As we speak there is a big comeback of that sort of house from the end of the 90's.

    @t Moonrise:
    You are right it's nothing new it's recycling old tunes but some people like myself don't take loops but cut up a track in loose hits of instruments en build a new track with that.

    Im making tunes also, see my myspace:

    http://www.myspace.com/hoodlumbreaks

    I can understand that people like the pure disco sound from way back (i like it too), but hey disco also got its influences at that time from funk and soul and other black music.

    To be true i rather hear a good new tune made from an old track then people that make "edits". I mean come on that's even less creative then making real music with old samples. And of course the original tracks are always nice to listen 2 !

    check new names like:

    treasure fingers, leonardus, louis la roche and myself: "c-code"


  • June 28, 2009 at 7:46 AM  

    That's right...Starlight by The Supreme Lovers! I recognized it right away too. So many samples are lifted from awesome originals...


  • June 28, 2009 at 11:25 AM  

    Yo c-code. Uh yeah, my record collection and I have heard of filter-house. Thanks. But let's face it, you just wanted to self-promote.


  • June 28, 2009 at 11:20 PM  

    C-Code:
    I think the point of an edit is to take a track and optimize it for the dance floor. It is what it is, but it is not the same as making music. Also, and that is not the point. The point is that some tracks have whack parts and good parts. If you cut the whack and keep the good, while keeping the original sound, the edit is well warranted.


  • July 5, 2009 at 7:15 AM  

    really dope! thanks


  • July 7, 2009 at 2:29 PM  

    I am Charles Wallert who co-wrote & produced "The Rock". Please check out music today on www.bluwaterrecordings.com & www.myspace.com/bluewaterrecordings


  • July 7, 2009 at 10:28 PM  

    Thank you for getting in touch Mr. Wallert, you are a pioneer, and you misspelled your url:

    www.bluewaterrecordings.com

    Please everyone go check it out. The work of an originator who unlike many went on to bigger and better things.


  • July 10, 2009 at 10:56 AM  

    I have been looking for this song for YEEEEEARS!!!!! Literally, its on a live recording of the Cat Club Nyc in 1979 but there's no artists info. Dear Beat Electric, will you be my boyfriend? Would I sound lame if i said you were the best thing to happen to me all year? (say yes to both)


  • July 17, 2009 at 4:45 PM  

    Thank You Black Shag for correcting the URL www.bluewaterrecordings.com
    Charles Wallert