Thursday, May 21, 2009

Slippery People  


I am a huge Talking Heads fan, and it takes something special for me to recommend a cover of one of their songs over the original. While I am not suggesting this is a better version of Slippery People, I am saying it's pretty damn good. It's sort of an unlikely cover, and I love the thought that an R&B and Gospel group from Chicago was listening to a band like the Talking Heads. This song gave The Staple Singers another hit on the R&B charts following their more successful tracks "I'll Take You There" and "Let's Do It Again". What I really appreciate about this version is how The Staple Singers remained rather true to the original, but tweaking it and ramping it up just enough to give it a new life. The hand claps keep you grooving and Mavis Staples sings this absolutely perfectly. There's loads of ear candy, fun little laser sounds that pique ones interest and the beat is slow but driving and totally danceable. Very danceable actually. This was released as 12" on Private Records in 1984, backed with an instrumental.

The Staple Singers - Slippery People

Posted by T. Preston | 13 comments

Labels: , ,

What next?

You can also bookmark this post using your favorite bookmarking service:

Related Posts by Categories



13 comments: to “ Slippery People


  • May 22, 2009 at 5:52 AM  

    a hidden gem. whenever this gets played it peaks people's curiosity. even the instrumental gets love.


  • May 22, 2009 at 10:29 AM  

    Funky but with a twist...I love it.


  • May 22, 2009 at 1:09 PM  

    great track


  • May 22, 2009 at 1:36 PM  

    I have a pretty odd record that is a cover of Zimbra by Talking Heads that is pretty good: http://www.discogs.com/Unknown-Artist-Zimbra/release/86395


  • May 23, 2009 at 2:41 AM  

    This is good! I like the electronic effects in it.


  • May 23, 2009 at 9:56 PM  

    so rad


  • May 24, 2009 at 1:46 AM  

    I have been looking for a copy of that track for months now! First heard optimo play it a while back and have been on the hunt ever since.


  • May 25, 2009 at 12:30 PM  

    I'm beginning to think I get tuneage saturation over the years; another gem I have completely forgotten , CHEERS.


  • June 1, 2009 at 11:48 AM  

    Just found your blog, some good stuff!

    Insane never knew about this one. Any chance that you could include the instrumental?

    Thanks in advance!


  • June 5, 2009 at 10:48 PM  

    Doesn't David Byrne play on this one? I'm pretty sure that's the case. Thanks for the post... I only had the shorter version on the Derrick Carter Choice comp.


  • June 18, 2009 at 10:03 PM  

    i found this 12 in a s.army bin a few years ago and have loved it since. for some reason i never checked who did the song 1st. figured it would make perfect sense for either group to have written it.


  • May 6, 2010 at 8:11 AM  

    i love Slippery People.. Is the best band in this world... thanks a lot

    Marian
    dirty sex talk


  • May 6, 2010 at 8:17 AM  

    hi
    great band, great sound ... excellent lyrics, great music what else can we ask ... many thanks for the info friend

    Trevor
    dirty sex talk